Quarantine 2008 ★★★

“Scott... They're not gonna let us out of here alive, are they?”
-Angela Vidal (Jennifer Carpenter)

I don’t understand this film. Maybe it’s just me, but how can they make an almost exact replica of perhaps the best found footage movie of all time, so unbelievably dull? Perhaps, because I have seen every single frame before but better in [REC], this just felt like more of the same. I don’t know. What I do know is this, whilst not terrible, Quarantine is an unworthy homage to the slice of Spanish gold that was [REC].

The cast all do pretty well and are certainly believable enough. Jennifer Carpenter (Already an established face in the genre, after a breakout performance in Emily Rose) is great as protagonist Angela Vidal, but she simply is neither as quirky nor enigmatic as Manuela Velasco in the original.

On the other hand, though, the effects look poor by comparison, and they weren’t even that elaborate in the first place. It doesn’t have the authenticity or suspense of its predecessor. As the audience, you’re left wondering what the point of it all was.

I would like to think I’m an open minded guy, even with *bastarding* remakes. Those that offer their own interpretation, that add something of worth to the original, I can stand. Those, on the other hand, that are purely generic or clones, I find irritating. This isn’t the worst remake I’ve seen, but it’s boring as fuck if you’ve seen it all before.

You would assume that a direct duplicate of one of the best foreign horror films in the past decade would work. Apparently not.

VERDICT; I’ll put it this way. If you’ve already seen [REC], there’s no point seeing this. If you’ve seen Quarantine first, go watch [REC] straight away. If you’ve seen neither… go see [REC].
Whilst Quarantine isn’t that bad by horror movie standards, it’s identical in everything but name and brings absolutely nothing new to the table. And somehow manages to be worse.
3/5 or 6/10

Comment?

Please to comment.