Birth 2004 ★★★★★

One of the greatest studies of love and loss I have ever seen. There is a scene about 25 minutes into the film, where Kidman (playing Anna) and her fiancée are at the symphony, shortly after an encounter with the ten year old claiming to be her ten years dead husband. The music ebbs and swells as the camera stays fixated on Anna's face and does not move for around two minutes. We see disbelief, grief, love, and hope run through her over this two minutes and that beautiful scene really encompasses the entire film for me. At that point the film, and Kidman specifically, took hold of me and those hooks never left me until the final frame.

There is, seemingly, a lot of debate as to whether the boy was or was not Anna's dead husband Sean, and while I have my belief it ultimately, to me anyway, does not really matter. This film was about Anna's journey and all I truly cared about was her attempt to navigate through this confusing new world she was pulled into.

From a technical standpoint the film looked and sounded amazing and suited this world perfectly. Really an overall stunning piece of film-making.