Passion 2012 ★★★★½

This review reportedly contains spoilers.
I can handle the truth.

This review reportedly contains spoilers.

I'm totally with this movie right from the moment Rachel McAdams chokingly says, "It's organic." ("So it's good for you?" replies Noomi Rapace with a long-stretch giggle.) De Palma movies are good for me (most, anyway), and I love how this one is a tri-perspective thriller that moves from the cold, calculating blonde to the all-in vengeful brunette to the haunt-you-even-in-death redhead. The surfaces are so enticing, and the depth emerges from the collision of emblems—not just hair color but zeitgeisty products (Mac computers; Panasonic cell phones; an ill-fated Coca-Cola machine) and strata of art (an ass-cam advertisement that goes YouTube viral and the Jerome Robbins version of Afternoon of a Faun, which may or may not have actually been witnessed). The key scene for me is the one in which McAdams tearily talks about her twin sister (who of course appears subsequently with bloody scarf—this film's Hermès handbag—in murderous hand), if only because it brings me back to that great Mission: Impossible exchange between Jean Reno and Emmanuelle Béart, which concisely and poetically sums up the polarizing De Palma project: "Is he serious?"/"Always."

Comment?

Please to comment.