No Country for Old Men 2007 ★★★★★

No Country For Old Men is easily The Coen Brother's finest film. By my estimation it is perfect. The directors pace this film so well, and not a single shot is misplaced. The opening scene is one of my favourite of any film - the accent and diction of Tommy Lee Jones gives me goosebumps every time. From the outset it is obvious that Sheriff Bell knows he times are changing around him and that he doesn't entirely understand it. The theme of aging and deterioration of the world around him is so well developed as the story continues, right through to the last scene. The last scene is something I don't think I will ever understand fully, but that is fine because I love coming back to it and trying to work it out.
Everything else about this movie is just as good, and I could spend days writing about it. One of my favourite aspects of it is the sound editing - the lack of music throughout seems to enhance the feeling of isolation and desolation of the West Texas setting and makes everything more intense. I hope to write something more thorough on this film in the future, but for now this will have to do.