The Tenant 1976 ★★

This review reportedly contains spoilers.
I can handle the truth.

This review reportedly contains spoilers.

One of the few Roman Polanski films I've watched, I opened my views and decided to watch another, but it turned out to be everything I thought it would be, a depressing French, or pseudo-French, drama about loneliness and love in a rainy urban environment as a cigarette is smoked, but then it takes a turn for the worse.

Now before I berate the movie, let me just say that it's not because I didn't like the style or the content, but it's because I think it was weak in the style and content it was going for. I say this because the first hour of the film is about the main character moving into a new apartment and finding life difficult at work, with his neighbours, and with his love interest and that's great. But after that second hour mark, it just turns into a movie about identity-crisis, cross-dressing and suicide, which is fine, except what the hell was the point of that first hour? My problem with this film is that it seems like two different films are going on at the same time, and have nothing to do with each other, especially because the first half lends a dramatic style but the second half just because surreal and more of a psychological thriller, and come on, you can't just change horses like that.

However, the film does offer some good discussion about the ending, as we've talked about on /tv/, which is always a sign of a good movie, so I'll give it that.

Comment?

Please to comment.