How to Train Your Dragon 2010 ★★★★½

Chris Sanders made one of the last great 2D animated Disney films in the shape of Lilo & Stitch. It looked like he was on course to make another equally quirky film for Disney with American Dog (later to be heavily altered and retitled, Bolt) yet Lasseter, now in control of all things animated at the house of mouse, was less keen on this vision and Sanders left for new pastures. What Disney has lost is certainly Dreamworks biggest gain yet as Sanders and co-director/writer DeBlois have produced the studios best film by a country mile.

The marketing campaign was terrible, the creature designs (excluding Toothless) aren't much better and it still has that cocky character trait all Dreamworks movies have but none of this really matters as the film has genuine heart. Typically the studio goes for laughs above anything else but Sanders and DeBlois have tried to create a story centred around the relationship between a boy and a dragon. Much like the relationship in Lilo & Stitch this is a touching, believable and funny pairing. Toothless is as wonderful a creation as you could hope for and he is both familiar (his mannerisms are very cat like) and otherworldly. This bond between man and beast is tested in a thrilling climactic set piece that has real peril and uses 3D brilliantly.

I just hope this is a sign of things to come from the studio rather than a one-off.

6 Comments

• I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this film. For me it was the dialogue and the humour. I loved Baruchel and the fact that the kid was a scardey cat. It made him all the more endearing.

• I was surprised too. I hated all the Shrek films and I really had a very low opinion of all the other Dreamworks animated films bar Kung Fu Panda. Yet I think this is as good as a number of Pixar's films and I just love the relationship between the boy and his dragon. It also has some of the finest use of 3D I've seen in a film.

I hope the sequel is able to match it.

• I watched the trailer after reading this and the dragon is just lovely!

• The trailers are really awful and really not representative of the proper film which was touching and sweet. So if you liked Toothless in the trailer you'll love him in the film.

• I agree this is the best Dreamworks animated movie. It's so good it almost feels like a Pixar movie. I really hope they don't fuck it up with the sequel.

• The co-director of the original, Dean DeBlois, is going it alone for the sequel so it should be interesting to see how he copes without Sanders.

Please to comment.