Rubber 2010 ★½

It is obvious this film will find a devoted following but it left me stone cold. It tries far too hard to be quirky whilst doing nothing interesting with the premise at all. At best this is a mildly entertaining short film but they stretch it far beyond what the concept will allow. Murderous inanimate objects are nothing new in cinema from The Refrigerator to Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. None of these films are ever really great but they do provide some B-movie charms and still at least try and tell a story. Rubber on the other hand is a one-joke movie when the joke isn't all that funny to begin with.

Sure, the idea of a car tyre that blows up people's heads with its telepathic powers is quite amusing but it isn't really any funnier on screen than it is in black and white here. The film does try and explain the general randomness with a very knowing opening but thirty minutes in you are wondering why they really bothered. It is just far too forced for my tastes and too slow moving and uneventful to provide the entertainment you'd associate with similar B-movies. In fact the only thing positive I can say about it is that it looks quite nice.

11 Comments

• Completely agree with you about it making a good short film, but as a full feature it was a complete burn out.

• I had heard that it was a good film from a critic and then I watched it and I felt like you guys did that it was not a good film and had so many flaws to it and ended up being really dumb and just because a film wants to be smart doesn't mean it is.

• I was quite captured by the opening, and that was a big part of why I actually was hanging on to the end of the film. Obviously the filmmakers also thought the opening was the best part as they felt the need to repeat it during end credits.

• It's not just about a tire, it's about becoming self-aware. The whole "no reason" speech in the beginning is just to throw us off.

• I had the exact same feelings about it being much better as a short. I watched Quentin Dupieux's other film "Wrong" and loved that one, and thought "Rubber" would be just as good, but I was wrong.

• @Am Y: It is encouraging to know Wrong is more enjoyable. I've been putting off watching it.

• @Adam - Oh, you should really watch Wrong. It is far more entertaining than Rubber. And it was pretty funny. I was smiling quite a bit throughout the movie.

• I think Wrong is everything Quentin Dupieux wanted Rubber to be but didn't manage to achieve.

• I really hated the opening of the film, and it stops me from watching the entire film every time. Well, that and slow internet (Netflix). The way it describes the no reason idea and how it's shown in all these films, and how they say that there is no reason that Wladyslaw Szpilman had to live like that in The Pianist? Ridiculous.

• @Dominic: If you struggle with the opening then you won't enjoy the rest either so you're wise to not bother.

Please to comment.