The 'Burbs 1989 ★★★½

The Plot:
The ‘Burbs begins with Ray Peterson (Tom Hanks) stepping outside his home located in a quiet little cul-de-sac on Mayfield Place in the town of Hinkley Hills. Ray had stepped outside due to some mysterious noises he heard coming from his neighbors house, The Klopeks. Ray and the rest of his neighbors have yet to meet the Klopeks as they never seem to be out during the day. On his way back inside, Ray sees a silhouette of his neighbor, Lt. Mark Rumsfield (Bruce Dern), standing inside his home smoking a cigar. Rumsfield is a former military man who thrives on keeping the neighborhood in order.

The next morning we get to meet the rest of the neighbors. Walter Seznick (Gale Gordon) whose dog craps on Rumsfields lawn every morning. Ricky Butler (Corey Feldman), who lives across the street from Ray and always has friends over to watch the neighborhood shenanigans. Then there’s Art Weingartner (Rick Ducommun), whom we’re lead to believe is Ray’s best friend. Art finds his way over to Ray’s where he steals the scene by eating everything on the kitchen table (and then some) while rambling about various topics, one of them being the Klopeks. We also get to meet Ray’s wife, Carol (Carrie Fisher) who is concerned about Ray and his current state of health. Ray is on vacation for a week and has decided to stay home to rest, rather than traveling to the lake to relax. Carol doesn’t agree with this and we get to hear about that all too often.

Read the full review here >> wp.me/p2bXgm-ex

Comment?

Please to comment.