Star Trek: The Motion Picture 1979 ½

This movie gets one half of a star for technically being a movie.

One half star for a great soundtrack and a decent performance by Shatner.

Then deduct one half star for dullness, excruciatingly low tempo and more people in horrible space suits than have actually been to space. You will repeatedly wonder if you're going to survive this while watching...and the odds will be about 50-50.

3 Comments

• This one is often jokingly referred to as the "Motionless Picture" which is about right. It's especially sad considering the original screenplay was going to give us a revenge story featuring Spock vs. a rouge Klingon played by Toshiro Mifune! Ah, what might have been...

• *rogue, not rouge

• It is really excrutiating, but what amazes me is that it is almost impossible to describe this to people. Every time I have told friends about just how slow and dull this movie is, they have refused to believe it. Then I make them watch it with me. They never last to the end.

I didn't know about the Mifune plans - that would have been such a good match. Trek was always best when it took itself seriously and went slow - though not this slow - and the sensibilities of Mifune would fit right in.

Instead, we get Kirk and Scotty watching the camera - cut to an effect - cut to Kirk and Scotty watching the camera - cut to an effect...mind-numbing!

Please to comment.