Heckler 2007 ★★★

This film starts off really well as it explores the nature of rude people that can't shut up during live event. The clips of various performers (mostly comics, but a few singers as well) dealing with annoying hecklers. The film then shifts the spotlight to critics and all the negativity oozing from them. The film makes a valid point about how modern critics no long just inform the public about an artist's work via a humble review, but instead they turn their reviews into vicious personal attacks against the artist or they single out one person involved in the project.

Shortly after the film makes such a great observation about the current state of criticism, it quickly takes a child-like dive where we see several filmmakers and actors being interviewed make pouty faces because people didn't like their work. Toward the end, the movie points its finger at you and basically says, "How dare you, the audience member, have an opinion about anything that isn't about how great and talented I am." A great example of this is when Jamie Kennedy is in a nail salon and he asks one of the girls there if they thought he was cute in The Son of Mask, and the lady smiles and says, "I think the baby was cute" then the words, "Why does everyone have to have an opinion" appear on the screen. So, again, the movie is looking at you saying, "How dare you give me an opinion, even if I ask for it, that isn't about how wonderful I am as an artist!"

Overall it was good documentary, I just thing it could've been a lot stronger if it dove deeper into the side of unwarranted negativity that causes severe damage to a person and their career much like Mariah Carrey when she did Glitter, or dive into the psychopathic side of critical people that send death threats to filmmakers like Kevin Smith with Dogma.

Comment?

Please to comment.