Taxi Driver 1976 ★★★★★

The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men cannot put it back together again.
-Travis Bickle

One of the few films I can say I love more with each viewing and truly mean it. Robert De Niro's performance as Travis Bickle is one of my all time favorites from any actor. This film is also one of the reasons that Martin Scorsese is my favorite director.

There are so many big and small moments in this film that I think are brilliant that it's impossible for me to pick a favorite scene. I always harp about how I love good flawed characters in films, and it doesn't get better then this. De Niro is firing on all cylinders here and the rest of the cast manages to keep up with him in every scene, some just barely, but still.

To me the film is about Tavis Bickle being a human time bomb and you're experiencing the countdown from within his head. You know there is nothing that can prevent him from going off, that's not where the tension is. The tension lies in that you don't know where he's going to finally go off and what the collateral damage will be. Mind you that is an oversimplified overview of this film. If I had time (and was more eloquent) I'd go into every single detail of what makes this film a masterpiece.

Comment?

Please to comment.