Kill Bill: Vol. 2 2004 ★★★★

There are two types of people: those who prefer the first part of Kill Bill, and those who never got to the second part because the first part scared them away.

I jest, of course, but it was close; the first part left me a bit disappointed. It wasn’t unlike that guy who tries Red Bull for the first time – entertaining, for sure, but a bit monotone. It was the second half which felt much more whole as a film.

Still, I can’t help but think this duet of movies was not really meant for me. Just like I can recognize and revel in all the inside jokes and references in the nerdy productions, I came to Kill Bill largely unfamiliar with all the inspiration here: martial art flicks, exploitation movies, spaghetti westerns, and the like.

Without all that fabric these are still fun, but somewhat hollow movies. Nice fight choreography, fun non-linear chronology, great use of sound, too much violence and even more anxiety – down to the genius of chapter titles telegraphing cruel events to come. Biggest puzzle? In Tarantino universe, kids have selective deafness.