The Dark Knight 2008 ★★★★½

This might be the epitome of epicness, the very tip of the dial that’s forever stuck at 11, a superhero movie that goes to town with both “super” and “hero.” Every line here is not spoken as much as proclaimed. Every scene is underlined by a bombastic score that needed not one, but two big-name composers to handle. During some parts in IMAX, even the very movie screen simply gets bigger. When Gordon tells Batman that Joker “got a taste for theatrics,” he might just as well be talking about the director.

If you’re into that kind of over-the-topiness, this will be great. So it was for me, despite this being my third or fourth viewing, this time sandwiched in between Batman begins and Batman ends. The middle chapter wasn’t nearly as nerve racking as when I saw it first, but still incredibly engrossing and enjoyable. Sure, individual parts here often don’t make a lot of sense – something that will become much more evident in the trilogy’s conclusion – but it’s hard to care since it’s such a fun ride with such cool toys, such great pacing, and very healthy does of dark humour.

Not to mention a fantastic bad guy. Joker effortlessly steals not just this movie, but the entire trilogy, with a performance that will forever haunt not just the audience, but any other actor thinking of portraying a fantastic villain on the screen.

Despite 150 minutes of running time, I never once looked at the watch. That doesn’t happen often. The worst part of this movie might be the torrent of copycats that have and will be trying to best it, but ultimately fail. Unfortunately, this growing list includes Nolan’s very own sequel.

Comment?

Please to comment.