A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge 1985 ★★½

Hmmm. I've seen some poor reviews of this film, but I didn't think it was all that bad to be honest.

The most impressive thing about it is, like the first film, the creativity that goes into dreaming up the special effects/make-up. Some of the more imaginative effects are the only things that makes the film a bit creepy, although the original has the edge on it in that respect.

Aside from that, the film is pretty terrible. The situations just aren't scary enough and are just very silly (being tied up naked in the showers and whipped with a towel?! Parrakeet's scratching your face?? Really?), the characters pretty bland/uninteresting, and the deaths just boring. There's no horror! It's all very camp and stupid.

Some of it is just so bad it's good, but it's not the worst film ever made.

2 Comments

• I've got a lot of love for this film, most of it from a rose-tinted nostalgia point of view. I still think that Robert Englund's portrayal of Freddy in this film is my favourite and I love his make-up. The faces he pulls during the barbecue scene and the way he just offs everybody with his glove - which was scarcely used as the killing weapon after this film - is both brutal and creepy at the same time.

I realise the films flaws and the underlying homosexual subtext make it unpopular with a lot of fans who say it doesn't fit with the rest of the series, but this was the second film; there wasn't a set formula or 'rest of the series' at that point, and I first saw it as an innocent nine year old when it first came out so I had no preconceptions about the camp aspect - I just wanted to see Freddy killing lots of teenagers, which he does. The scene where he climbs out of Jesse's body is still a remarkable feat of special effects and the opening five minutes is truly terrifying, something that got lost in the series after this film.

It may not be a classic like the first film, or a fun popcorn thrill ride like part three or Freddy vs. Jason but there is a lot of good stuff here if you can put up with the not-so-good stuff.

• Great reply, Chris. I think I agree with most of your points; just wanting to see Freddy slash up a load of teens at a party with his claw is fine and it was one of the best bits of the film, it's what the audience wanted, it's what the audience got, and that's great. I just didn't really love the film.

I'm glad you do, though. And that you're able to explain why without going all "fanboy". You talk a lot of sense!

There were definitely good things to take away from it, and unfortunately, like you said, some not-so-good stuff. Overall, it was probably fairly evenly balanced.

Please to comment.