AVP: Alien vs. Predator 2004 ★★★

I saw this not long after it came out (in 2004! 8 years ago! Fuck sake) and was very disappointed in it. However, on reflection, and after rewatching it for the first time, it's not all that bad. Lots of action, a big alien queen and a fist fight between an alien and a predator which (if you're honest) is the main thing you want to see in a film with a title like this, isn't it? Everything else is by the by. The CGI and stuff is actually pretty good in the most part, although it is also unintentionally hilarious with the slow-motion Matrix-style spinning camera trick when face-huggers are leaping through the air etc

The main criticisms of the film would probably be that the film is fine until the predators turn up, actually. Then it all gets a bit silly. There are way too many plot holes to mention (why, on earth, would this ancient civilization be using our calendar system??) and the dialogue is frustratingly crap; You don't need have things like characters looking down a hole and saying "I'm looking down the hole" etc. The characters kept making stupid decisions too, not to mention the majority of them being extremely annoying, and the aliens were far, far too easy to kill.

But, like I said, it wasn't really a bad as I remembered. It is mostly just a fun sci-fi action film that delivers on its promise to have aliens fighting predators. It could've been improved if there were no annoying humans in it at all, but then, it would've probably made it a dull film with just fighting and nothing else. I've never seen the sequel (although the premise sounds appalling) and still haven't seen Predators, which I'm assured "isn't that bad" either. So.. there's something to look forward to, I guess.

6 Comments

• I thought the set-up was quite a good idea and liked the way it linked into the shared universe, but it does get quite silly.

If you're in an A/P mood you could watch them all in order;
    letterboxd.com/mook/list/alien-predator-timeline/

• Yeah the concept behind it isn't that bad at all really. It's just executed in a very unexciting way. Or, rather, in a way that wasn't quite as exciting as it should have been.

I've had a look at the list! I don't think I could quite bring myself to watch 10 films, only 4 of which I really loved, all in order again quite so soon. But it's interesting to see them all laid out like that. I suppose despite the fact that they both exist in different universes (the Predator universe, which features aliens, and the Alien universe, which doesn't feature predators) there is some kind of pre-existing chronological order to them.

• I would like to do it one day, maybe over a working week with two films a day. The only one I havent seen is Predators.

AVP2 is pretty poor though.

• Shame. I suspected as much! The way that AvP ended was pretty lame, to then create a whole story out of that twist... not looking forward to (inevitably) watching it!

• Despite its obvious leaning towards mainstream audiences, I quite like AvP as a bit of popcorn fun (and it makes a great introductory genre film for kids!).

• Yeah I think that's exactly all it is really. A popcorn action flick. I mention in the review that essentially all you really want to see in a movie like this is aliens fighting predators and so in that respect it delivers. It's really nothing more than that, though.

Please to comment.