Best in Show 2000 ★★★½

I'd heard it mentioned on some tv programme about comedy films a while ago now, but it was on the HTC Watch app for 5p so thought I'd give it a go. Also, being a person who owns 2 dogs, one of whom is a tiny little pappillon who my wife keeps threatening to take to dog shows, I thought if nothing else it'll be easily-relatable humour. Also, despite not loving Spinal Tap as much as most other people do, I did like it and this is written/directed by Christopher Guest so that gives it a bit more credibility.

Anyway, all that aside, I quite liked it and at the same time didn't really find it all that "laugh out loud" funny. The characters themselves are pretty funny, written with quite a lot of attention to detail, the performances of which only intensify the hilarious points of their personality. The best of whom being Christopher Guest's character Harlan Pepper; "Macadamia nut. That was the one that would send her into going crazy. She'd say, "Would you stop naming nuts!"". Fred Willard is also great as the commentator for the event. In fact, he probably has the best lines of the whole thing.

The first half of the film is all about building the characterisation for each of the dog handlers and establishing things which will be used as call backs later in the film, but it does drag slightly. Not that it makes the film boring, but it's all building blocks for the rest of the film so a little bit slow to gather momentum. It has its high points early on, but the film only really kicks into life once the dog show actually starts. There's a little bit of tension too, but it's not that tense; we both managed to guess who would win the competition, but it was still entertaining enough.

I'm not sure it's going to be one of my favourite ever films, or even favourite comedy films, but it was funny enough to pass an hour and a half last night and well worth the 5p it cost to watch it.

Comment?

Please to comment.