Street Fighter 1994 ★★½

I used to think this was AWFUL - key word being "used to". To my great surprise, I actual thought it was ok. The trick is to imagine that it's not actually Street Fighter, it's just some other cheesy action movie with vaguely recognisable characters in it, and it's not bad really. Forget about how the film focusses on Guile when really it shouldn't, forget that Ryu and Ken are a pair of plums who hustle gangsters instead of being anything remotely like their computer game counterparts apart from the fact one is American the other is Japanese, forget that for some reason Charlie is also Blanca, forget that Balrog and E Honda work for Chun Li, forget ALL of that. Honestly, you'll be better off for it.

Just watch and enjoy the corny and hilarious dialogue, such as:

Chun Li: [to Bison] It was twenty years ago. You hadn't promoted yourself to general yet. You were just a petty drug lord. Huh! You and your gang of murderers gathered your small ounce of courage to raid across the border for food... weapons... [indicates her binds] hmph. Slave labor. My father was the village magistrate. A simple man with a simple code: justice. He gathered the few people that he could to stand against you. You and your bullies were driven back by farmers with pitchforks! My father saved his village at the cost of his own life. You had him shot as you ran away! A hero... at a thousand paces.

Bison: I'm sorry. I don't remember any of it.

Marvel at Van Damme trying his absolute hardest to put on an American accent. Wonder at the performance of M Bison as his major plan revolves around basically getting into a fist fight with Guile. Piss your pants laughing at the final frame. I did.

Comment?

Please to comment.