The Godfather 1972 ★★★★½

From the first scene to the last, the film is very stylish, very slick and undeniably a fantastic example of film making. The swagger that all the characters carry with them, thanks mostly the faultless performances of some unbelievably well written characters by absolutely everyone involved, makes the film feel so real. It's a tragic story, about the collapse of man, the sense of being trapped in a "family" that you can not escape, a destiny that you are doomed to, but at the heart of it is this ideal of love and togetherness.

There are massively conflicting emotions you get from the film, things you know that are not right, but you can't help it anyway; wanting characters like Don Corleone to recover, to improve, to do well, despite knowing that he is exactly the sort of person that you hope you never have to encounter in your life, is testament to the creativity that has gone into creating this iconic character from the make up, to the costume, the setting, the direction and least of all the acting. It's a breathtaking performance from Brando which is rightly regarded as one of the absolute best of cinematic history.

I'm not sure I can actually say all that much about it that hasn't been uttered a million times before by people able to put into words their thoughts much more eloquently than I could, so I'll cut my review short right here. But suffice to say, it's a film that is timeless and a classic for a reason.

2 Comments

• A brilliant piece of filmmaking, and still my favorite of the series. Part II was very good, but not as good as the first, IMHO.

• It's been so long since I watched either of them, I honestly couldn't tell you which one I preferred. Definitely, definitely, definitely loved this one though.

Please to comment.