Prometheus 2012 ★★★½

Very much enjoyed this prequel to the ALIEN series. I commend director Ridley Scott for making a film that stands on its own, yet also provides a great set-up for what comes next. Loved Charlize Theron, and Michael Fassbender. Not at all of it works, nor perhaps makes sense, yet much of it is so good that it almost doesn't matter.

Visually stunning, PROMETHEUS played well in IMAX 3D, though I thought the 3D was just okay, especially when compared to the absolutely incredible IMAX 3D logo which played before the film.

12 Comments

• We saw it today, not in 3D, but yes, I really liked it... some of our group were not so kind in their reviews, but I really enjoyed it. It's a visually beautiful movie. And I don't know, it made sense to me. We'll have to discuss this movie someday, cause I saw some things differently than some of the others didn't enjoy it as much. ; )

• Y'now Diane, I don't think anyone at my showing liked the movie. When the film ended, no one made a sound...no applause, nothin. As I was walking out of the theater I only heard complaints from people that it was boring, and that this and that didn't make sense. Yet I'm with you, I really liked this movie, and enjoyed the questions it asked, and tried to answer.

• Really, it wasn't that bad when we saw it, there was applause at the end, and laughs (where there should have been) and gasps during the movie. The audience was into it. I just wrote an email on my whole take on David - I really liked that character, but if I reveal my take on him here and his agenda (which I thought was pretty deep) it would be a spoiler, so I won't : P

• Trying really hard not to ruin this by not reading much or watching clips anywhere, but trying to gauge if it's worth seeing in the theater. Haven't seen much in the theater lately and want to make sure it's worth the trip. Thanks for your input and curious to see it now.

• My audience seemed more perplexed than amused. Diane, email me your take on David - pez_man98@yahoo.com.

Don, would love to hear/read your thoughts on it whenever you see it.

• I'm not reading any of these comments. I have an interest in seeing this now because of Diane and Paul's review. Paul, tell me - was this seen on a real IMAX screen like Universal - and was it actually shot in the IMAX format, like GHOST PROTOCOL and DARK KNIGHT?

• PROMETHEUS was not shot in IMAX, unfortunately, yet it was shot in 3D.

I saw it on a real, bonafide IMAX screen...not the fake IMAX screens they have in Century City and Burbank. After watching PROMETHEUS in IMAX, it made me want to watch everything in IMAX. Speaking of which, DARK KNIGHT RISES IMAX tix go on sale Monday. Should I pick up tickets?

• Paul and Diane - Just posted my lengthy review. Had a lot to say because I had really mixed feelings. The things I liked I really liked, but the flaws really bothered me, too. Ultimately, I'm glad I saw it (didn't see it in 3D, but not really upset over that), loved the look, what they were going for, the questions raised, all that, but ultimately felt let down, mainly by the way they handled the creature element and the fact that it felt like Act One of something bigger. This whole building to a bigger story thing really sticks in my craw in a theater. This isn't a pilot, Lindelof, it's a movie. Found it, like Lost, frustrating because of lack of follow up on a solid build-up and concept.
    But, yeah, glad I saw it. Nice to see someone swinging for the fence, even if they don't knock it out of the park. Definitely not your average blockbuster.

• Interesting. For me, the story was a fascinating adventure story shrouded in mystery. Never once did I feel as if the filmmakers were holding back on material in order to create a sequel. For me, it felt as if PROMETHEUS was fully formed, and stands on its own. I agree that there are flaws, yet they are thought-provoking flaws, in my opinion.

• I don't think I felt like they were holding anything back, I just felt like there was more they could have explained with the multiple forms of the creature. I never felt like I got a good grasp on what it was doing or why it reacted different ways to different people. I agree it was thought-provoking and have had good conversations after it, definitely.

• I hear ya. I suppose for me, the lack of explanation only made me more intrigued by the film's premise, and dilemma.

Please to comment.