The Godfather 1972 ★★★★★

This review reportedly contains spoilers.
I can handle the truth.

This review reportedly contains spoilers.

A real treat to watch this in Blu-ray for the very first time. I first saw THE GODFATHER when I was 12 years old, and it had a profound effect on me that has lasted to this very day. Watching the film tonight was like visiting an old, dear member of my family...whom I have been absent from for far too long.

What's great about THE GODFATHER is...everything. That's right, everything. THE GODFATHER is a perfect film. It has the best story, and script...courtesy of Mario Puzo, Francis Ford Coppola, and Robert Towne. It has the greatest acting...Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, James Caan, John Cazelle, Talia Shire, Diane Keaton, Sterling Hayden and Richard Castellano. It has the greatest cinematography, by Gordon Willis. It has the greatest score, courtesy of Nina Rota. It has the greatest direction, from maestro Francis Ford Coppola.

It's tough sometimes...to view a film you love, yet have seen on perhaps too many occasions. I had watched THE GODFATHER on cable TV, on videotape, on DVD. I have watched it with friends; I have watched it with family. I saw it on the big screen at Theater 80 St. Marks, and at Astor Plaza in Manhattan. I've read books about THE GODFATHER, and have quoted its script on many occasions throughout my life. I've won a game show with the help of my love for GODFATHER trivia. I've lived and breathed this film, even when I spent years staying away from it. Yet after all this time, I am still affected by it.

I still marvel at Brando's brilliant performance as the Don, especially since he was only 47 at the time. Al Pacino is pure perfection as Michael Corleone. I still adore the genius opening of the movie, and got the chills tonight watching the final shot...with the door closing on Diane Keaton's face.

I wish I could experience THE GODFATHER the way I used to, when I could actually feel the wonder of its art, and the beauty of its epic splendor. Yet I do not regret the fact that I insisted upon on seeing the film again and again.

Despite some hesitancy on my part, I am proud to finally add THE GODFATHER to my Blu-ray collection. Though by no means perfect, Coppola, Willis and the folks at Paramount did a fine job transferring this masterpiece into high definition.