A Little Bit of Heaven 2011 ½

Here is the lesson from A Little Bit of Heaven: Colon cancer is the best thing that can happen to anyone.

Before cancer, Marley is a shallow, vain person who sleeps with anyone, doesn't get along with her parents, doesn't believe in love. With colon cancer, Marley now has a good looking Mexican Jewish (yes, they actually exist) doctor (yes, he is her doctor, who looks like Gael Garcia Bernal, and no, I don't think it's ethical) falling for her and she loves him. She makes peace with her parents (played by Kathy Bates and Treat Williams, who should be playing Newt Gringrich in a TV movie). She has new friends including a dwarf male gigolo played by Peter Dinklage (the movie is called A Little Bit of Heaven for a reason). She reconciles her feelings with her current friends (played by Rosemarie DeWitt, Lucy Punch, Romany Malco). Marley also gets to talk to God who is Whoopi Goldberg (Marley actually project God as Whoopi Goldberg, anyone in real life actually think like that???) In short, Marley just stop short of solving world hunger, while still looking like Kate Hudson (her late scenes though do have her WITHOUT make up, I guess she has to draw the line somewhere).

The amazing thing about this movie is how unreal these characters and situations are and yet it tries to earn real emotions from the audience. This is absolutely the worst movie I have seen in the last 3 years or so.