Signs 2002 ★★★★★

There's probably no other movie I've seen as many times as Signs. This is not only one of my favorite alien invasion flicks, but also one of my all-time favorite films. Is it one of the greatest films ever made? No. But that doesn't mean I can't love the hell out of it.

I love the four leads. Mel Gibson, Joaquin Phoenix, Rory Culkin, and Abagail Breslin make a perfect family unit. Breslin is especially notable because of how mature she is at such a young age. Culkin is also impressive when he delivers some of the most emotionally intense scenes in the movie.

The way Shyamalan is able to create a religiously-inspired film in such a way that doesn't have myself - a non-religious person - flinch is inspiring, and it sets the bar for religiously themed films in my book. The "everything happens for a reason" message is laid out and executed flawlessly, and I just love the hell out of it.

If I had the ability to rewatch one film in theatres for the first time (a supernatural power, yes), it would be Signs. I'll never forget the first time I saw this film because it scared the ever-loving piss out of me. I still classify this one as horror/sci-fi, but I know nobody else does. Signs is a cinematic gem.

Shyamalan may be striking out with his last couple films, but I am a firm believer that he will knock one of his next films out of the park.

Comment?

Please to comment.