Close-Up 1990 ★★★★

Acclaimed Iranian filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami's "Close-Up" reminded me very much of Louis Malle's "My Dinner with Andre", in the sense that both films were excellently written character studies with incredibly engaging and reflective dialogue, despite being very flawed on the technical level. I guess it's understandable that the camera equipment wasn't at all state-of-the-art, since this movie came out of Iran, which is not exactly a First World country. Taking this into account, I was able to really enjoy this riveting, empathetic, documentary-like exploration of the poor Hossain Sabzian, the so-called fraud artist who simply wanted to put himself in the shoes of the only man who understood his suffering-- his favorite director Mohsen Makhmalbaf. This story was so thought-provoking it went as far as to inspire the whole sequence of dreams I had the night of. Highly recommended for anyone who can see past the struggling technicalities and inferior video quality.

4 Comments

• Awesome to see you reviewing again, boiyee!

I still need to see this movie. I've only seen The Wind Will Carry Us by Kiarostami, but this one looks pretty great too.

• To me, this isn't exactly reviewing, since it isn't published on my blog and fails to meet the minimal length of a typical Nick Lyons review. This was just me typing up a paragraph about a movie. :)

• Trivializing your work: classic Nick Lyons. You know, for some people this would be considered a fairly long review.

• Then I'd love to see the look on those people's faces when they check out my "real" reviews...

Please to comment.