2001: A Space Odyssey 1968 ★★★★★

Let's be real, this is more a work of art than anything some old French or Italian dude painted a bunch of years ago. You don't have to watch any other movie to know that this is the best Sci-Fi movie ever made. One of the best movies, period. Amazing shot after amazing shot, through the entire film. It only takes you about five minutes into the movie to realize you are watching something truly amazing, and Kubrick doesn't disappoint.

I won't go on too long because most have seen it and many have reviewed it, but I will say that I think it shares its only flaw with The Shining, which is a climax that doesn't quite live up to the rest of the film. Both movies are so powerful at building a quiet tension with meticulous and beautiful scenes that when we get to some action the movie slightly gets away from the aspects that made the first half so great. I like to imagine that Kubrick might have been persuaded to add more "action" for the sake of the audience, but all I know is that I much prefer the scenes where "nothing happens."