Alien: Resurrection 1997 ★★★

Hey, I have to admit that I sort of enjoy it and not in some ironic way. I don't think it was really all that needed after what happened at the end of the 3rd one and would be hesitant to call it a great movie, even a very good one, but it has a lot of interesting ideas and quite a few fantastic moments. What I don't agree with most people is that the tone ruins the film. If all three previous movies maintained a very specific style and tone then obviously Resurrection would stick out like a sore thumb, but thing is that with each new movie Alien franchise went totally different ways and the silly, comic tone here is just one of them. That said, I will be first to admit that most of the humor, at least the verbal one, fails. By now all of you know Joss Whedon's signature writing style and it needs a director that understand how to deliver it right. Jeunet (who didn't even speak English at the time) fails pretty much with every one-liner and, boy, this movie has tons of them.
There are many more problems with Alien: Resurrection, many concerning Ripley character, but there are many things that they did right and by the time the end credits start to roll, I didn't feel like I was watching a total trainwreck or a lazy exercise in mediocrity. It is way too bizarre, strangely touching and entertaining for that.

3 Comments

• Hey, I have to admit that I sort of enjoy it and not in some ironic way. I don't think it was really all that needed after what happened at the end of the 3rd one and would be hesitant to call it a great movie, even a very good one, but it has a lot of interesting ideas and quite a few fantastic moments. What I don't agree with most people is that the tone ruins the film. If all three previous movies maintained a very specific style and tone, then obviously Resurrection would stick out like a sore thumb, but thing is that with each new movie, Alien franchise went totally different ways and the silly, comic tone here is just one of them. That said, I will be first to admit that most of the humor, at least the verbal one, fails. By now all of you know Joss Whedon's signature writing style and it needs a director that understand how to deliver it right. Jeunet (who didn't even speak English at the time) fails pretty much with every one-liner and, boy, this movie has tons of them.
    There are many more problems with them film, many concerning Ripley character, but there are many things that they did right and by the time the end credits start to roll, I didn't feel like I was watching a total trainwreck or an exercise in mediocrity. It is way too bizarre, strangely touching and entertaining for that.

• Tieši tas man par ALIEN frančīzi patīk - labas vai sliktas, katrai filmai ir sava unikālā piegarša un katrs režisors tur ienes savu estētiku (interesanti, ka visiem, izņemot Jeunet, ALIEN filmas bija vienas no pirmajām un var redzēt, kur katra režisora rokraksts sāk veidoties).

• Absolūti manas domas - nepelnīti nenovērtētākā no visām!

Please to comment.