Awakenings 1990 ★★½

4 Comments

• A definition of an Oscar-bait circa 1990. I'm not much of a cynic & I don't mind being manipulated once in a while, but damn, can you do it with a little bit of subtlety? At least performances are pretty good and there are some nice touches here and there.

• What do you mean by being manipulated?

I don't get your point... Oliver Sacks (the physician portraied by Robbin Williams) exists and still writes about his experience as a physician. Besides, those experiments with L-Dopa were real. So... what manipulation?

• Emotionally manipulated. You know, when filmmakers do everything to get a tear out of you, even if it means using very unsubtle, cheap dramatic tactics, like specific music cues at very specific moments.

And considering he is real and has done all these extraordinary things, I think the movie should have taken a more honest approach. We don't need cheap melodrama to be make it powerful and emotional.

• Ok, I get you :-) I thought you meant the story was itself manipulated. Thanks for answering!

Please to comment.