Cosmopolis 2012 ★★★½

Star Rating very, very tentative. I am not entirely sure what I think of this film as it seems almost impossible to digest in one viewing. I see a lot to like and dislike, but what shines through is the dark comedy, the wonderful play with language that is Cronenberg's script, some savvy insights into the means with which we designate meaning in life, and Pattinson owning the screen (who the hell saw that coming?). I like how very Toronto this film is, despite weakly trying to pass as New York City, and I like seeing Canadian regulars pop their heads into the limo. The initial criticism is the pacing, it has no flow, and just hangs there at times. I almost prefer to just read the script as a piece of literature than watch the movie.

8 Comments

• Gah, I am/was all kinds of excited for this (still not out in Melbourne) and was looking forward to see what you amongst other Letterboxers thought of it. 3.5 although good, is lower than I was hoping.

• that rating is kind of meaningless, seriously. What this reminds me most of is Waking Life, if you can take the onslaught of ideas and weird ways in which those ideas are expressed, than you will like this film.

Let me put it this way: the film does not half-ass anything. In a time when so many films are paint-by-number, and timidly following trends, this film is the alpha of self-expression, it has things to say and fuck you if you don't have the patience to hear it. That kind of audacious all or nothing is kind of exciting in its own right.

I expect the rating to keep going up the more I think about it, and on rewatch. It is just hard to digest in one sitting.

• Hmmm, that does sound like my kind of movie. I love Cronenberg and always thought Pattinson was unjustly panned. I like that this sounds ambitious and audacious. Can't wait to see it now, it comes out August 30 - that's so far away.
    I'm glad it's one of those films that needs time to gestate and grow, I thought it might have been one of those that gets worse the more you think about it.

• Yeah, I watched it, gave it 3 1/2 stars in my review, next morning bumped it up to four. Could not get it out of my head.

letterboxd.com/dirkhasselman/film/cosmopolis/

• @David, just expect that for the first ten minutes or so you are going to be frazzled, the film does not hold your hand and the banter goes very fast and so you are going to be thinking what the fuck is this? You just need to decompress from expectations and go with it.

• Good to know, rot. Sounds like it might be one to see a couple of times at the movies.

• Rather than read the script as a piece of literature, you could always just read the novel on which it was based as a piece of literature!

• True, at the time I suspected that a great deal of the script was Cronenberg, he is credited I believe, but I have since flipped through the novel and noticed large passages of dialogue verbatim the same, so I should probably just read the book.

Please to comment.