Pulp Fiction 1994 ★★★★★

Forrest Gump. Forrest. Fucking. Gump.

Now don't get me wrong, I like that movie. It's pretty good. But is it really better than Pulp Fiction as the Academy would have us believe? No. Of course not. I suppose I shouldn't worry because, which of these films has stood the test of time? That's right.
When thinking about what to write for this review I realised that everything has already been said. And probably said better than I could possibly hope to achieve. So I'll just muddle through...
The acting all round is fantastic, helped by one of the best scripts ever written. No wonder Tarantino threatened the safety of the actors legs in case they told anybody about this masterpiece. And the music. THE MUSIC. I still listen to the soundtrack now. It still blows me away how good it is.
So what I'll do is run through a few of the little moments which add up to make the classic on show. Not big scenes like the dance at Jack Rabbit Slims, or the biblical farewell Jules Winfield dishes out before he slays Brett. Just those nuggets which raised a smile or tickled my winkle. So to speak.
"Garcon means boy". The music changing from Misirlou to Jungle Boogie with ease. Jules drinking Brett's Sprite. Vincent taking an age removing his shoes for the twist contest. The $5 shake. Uma Thurman channelling Lauren Bacall in her performance. Vincent crashing his car outside Lance's house. "Ketchup". Vincents blown kiss. Esmerelda Villalobos. Fabienne Brushing her teeth seemingly all night. The way the people flee when Marcellus pulls out his gun. The camera panning to the left when Marcellus is chosen for a good ol' ass rapin'. Butch choosing his weapon. "I'm gonna get medieval on your ass!". Butch magically has Zed's keys. The Wolf. The subtitle, "9 minutes and 37 seconds later". The dialogue change by Honey Bunny in the second rendition of the hold-up. Bad Motherfucker. "I'm trying Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd".
I'm sure while you're reading this you are seeing these moments in your head and are enjoying the view. If not, why not? What's wrong with you? Calm down Lee. Woosah. Cracking film.

Comment?

Please to comment.