Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2009 ★★★½

I've recently been on a quest to start showing my eldest daughter, who has just turned 5, some films. It was about this age that I started watching films (a strange mixture of Clint Eastwood and Laurel & Hardy films mixed in with repeat viewings of Animalympics, if I remember rightly) so I thought it was about time we had a go at watching something.

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs seemed like a good starting point, being as it is about it raining giant food - something that she immediately found amusing from the moment I told her about it. She seemed to really enjoy it, although she wasn't as amused by the comedy monkey (he would be bloody well named Steve, wouldn't he?) as most animators seem to think kids of this age will be amused by comedy animals. She was more amused by Flint's dad's giant eyebrows. As was I, actually.

I personally quite enjoyed it. It was the usual Hollywood animated fare, really, with enough gags and in-jokes to amuse the grown-ups, but it did a pretty good job on the whole. She took to it as much as I expected her to, which was good, but I don't think she's quite ready for the leap up to Mulholland Falls or Un Chien Andalou yet.

I'll give them another couple of months.

Comment?

Please to comment.