Batman 1989 ★★★★

I decided to revisit this version of Batman after watching the latest trilogy. I remembered enjoying this "Batman" way back when. With all the hype lately regarding Nolan's films, (which I also enjoyed) I wanted to compare the entertainment factor. I was fairly certain that the older version would probably not hold up when compared to the new ultra budget, high tech versions.

Well....I have to admit that I still find this "Batman" to be just as entertaining in many ways; if not more so!
There was an outstanding cast! I thought that Keaton was (surprisingly) very good as Batman. What stands out even more is how great Jack Nicholson was as the Joker. I still respect the job that Heath ledger did with the part, but; I am now convinced that Nicholson was the best. He played the Joker the way the character was supposed to be....Insane, deranged and funny! When one of the best actors ever, obviously enjoys playing a part that much, we are treated to something special... "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light?"
I also think this was by far one of Burton's best efforts.

In summary; I think that this film holds its own, compared to the new versions when it comes to entertainment value, and this one along with "Batman Begins" are my favorites.

5 Comments

• It's so hard to compare Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger's performances because they're different interpretations of The Joker (although both are good). I too love this film, and agree that it is one of Tim Burton's best films. The thing I remember most is how amazingly stylized Gotham was. In true German Expressionist fashion, the buildings were sky high, with exaggerated angles, and the city streets were dark and wet. I like Nolan naturalistic portrayal of the city in TDK trilogy, but there's something so dark and other-worldly about Burton's vision.

• I'm not a huge fan of any Batman movie other than Batman Begins, but I liked your review--gutsy move falling on the side of the original joker over Ledger's interpretation.

• And I totally agree with him!

• lise: I was very impressed and entertained by Nicholson's Joker. I believe it was unequalled. I still liked the other Jokers.

Dirk: I always knew you were very intelligent! :)

• Batman movies suck, imo......the faith in that comic book material only keeps proving over and over it doesn't what it have to takes to transcend in two hours, including the two thirds of Nolan's trilogy I've watched. :(

Please to comment.