Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead 1990 ★★★★★

Have you ever read/watched Hamlet and wondered what those two guys Rosencrantz and Guildenstern did during the play/film aside from their brief amount of time? Me neither, but this manages to exist and it's pretty amazing.

Brilliant chemistry between Gary Oldman and Tim Roth, fantastic cast, witty and clever dialogue, hilarious moments, smart script and a facinating story to boot. A terrific gem. Something the Bard himself would be proud of.

4 Comments

• Would you say it's good to have watched Hamlet first? And if so, which version?

• It's best to watch Hamlet beforehand so you get a better understanding of what's going on when Hamlet is on screen. I think it's best to watch Kenneth Branagh's 1996 Hamlet. I have'nt seen the Laurence Olivier version of Hamlet so that might be fine too, but it may not help watching the Mel Gibson version of Hamlet. The Mel Gibson version isn't bad and I actually like it for what it is, but it cuts out a lot of scenes from the play down to two hours. It's shorter, but incomplete and a bit messy because of it. Kenneth Branagh's version at 4 hours is the most complete and for me is the best version of Hamlet other than The Lion King (which is heavily influenced from Hamlet).

• Actually if you don't want to spend 4 hours getting to the essence of Hamlet, the Gibson version is a better pick. Sure, it leaves out a lot but it watches like a very entertaining summary, without compromising on the themes. It would certainly be enough to increase your enjoyment of this film. The Olivier version is beautiful, but very stagy and dated. I love it to death, but I love Shakespeare.

• Figured as much. I do really want to watch the Branagh version. I like that guy.

Please to comment.