Serenity 2005 ★★★★★

When people were still skeptical if a tv writer/producer/director like Joss Whedon could pull of such a major blockbuster like The Avengers, I was one of the few people who had complete confidence in the guy because of this film. Here, he does such a spectacular job directing an ensemble with amazing chemistry and terrific acting with Chiwetel Ejiofer as a fantastic villain and standout. He creates such fully realized and likable characters and puts them in such interesting and exciting situations. I don't know if he did a better job writing or directing because he crafts action sequences that are stunning enough to leave you in awe and exciting enough to keep you on the edge of your seat. Like The Avengers, this film never takes itself too seriously. It stays fun and entertaining throughout. He does such a brilliant and perfect job with this film that I was positive he would do the same with The Avengers and not only was I right, he surpases that. You don't need to watch Firefly to have fun with such an exciting, beautiful, and entertaining film, but it helps if you do. It adds to the experience.

9 Comments

• You prefer The Avengers? Interesting. I love both, but Serenity takes it for me by a long shot.

• I don't prefer The Avengers. That may change when I rewatch The Avengers a few more time, but I love Serenity too much to say otherwise. However, I do believe The Avengers was better made technically than Serenity. As impressive as his directing debut was, Whedon improved a lot in writing and direction when handling his second film. I still love Serenity much more though.

• Oh sorry, misread you. Yeah, you can certainly see he's grown as a director. They'd make a heck of a double bill.

• Serenity has a far better script than The Avengers, a film where all the conflict was on the surface, and no character had any real character. It's all one-dimensional. Serenity is layered, and has some real depth. Not nearly as much as Firefly, but it's there. It's not there in The Avengers.

• I would'nt say anyone in The Avengers is one dimensional. In fact, much of the cast has multiple layers and depth to them. Even Black Widow surprisingly had a lot more depth to her than in Iron Man 2 and Bruce Banner had plenty of depth. If you look hard enough in the dialogue, real depth can probably be found in each character of the film. Even if you have problems with the script, you have to admit Whedon's directing ability improved a lot from his debut.

• I disagree. Nobody in The Avengers is dealing with any sort of internal conflict. No depth at all. Banner, perhaps, but that was dealt with so lazily, it didn't work for me at all. It felt like he lost control when Whedon needed a set-piece where he fights the heroes, and gained control when he needed another set-piece when he fights the villains. No unity to his rage at all. Thor, no internal conflict. He just wants to stop his bro, who has the most cliched, non-existent motive in film history. Iron Man, same deal. Black Widow, same deal. Hawkeye, same deal. Cap, same deal. The only thing anyone deals with in this movie is 'I have to stop the bad guy', or 'I'm the bad guy and the heroes are trying to stop me'. That's it. The rest is just mindless bickering among the team that could be solved with someone walking in the room and telling everyone to shut the fuck up, you're all on the same team, and stop acting like babies. That is the literal extent of *all* the conflict in that movie. Where is the internal struggle? It's entirely on the surface. Flat. No depth. One-dimensional. Boring.

• Actually I would say that much of the internal conflicts are subtle and you just have to look deep enough. It seems like Banner is the most internally conflicted because he states it in most of his dialogue from his revelation about his suicide attempt to the now infamous "I'm always angry." line as well as plenty of others. Just because a character does'nt state it in the film or it's not as heavy in the plot as others, it does'nt mean they're without internal conflict. When Loki speaks with each member, there is subtle internal conflict within each conversation. With Thor, it's much more than just stopping his brother. He does'nt want to stop Loki because it's his brother. He knows he has to stop him, but since the stakes are higher, he is left conflicted because there is a chance he might have to kill him. Subtle conflict. Black Widow is broken in a male dominant world by other males. Ever since Iron Man 2, she was always in control to the point it almost felt unreal. Here in this film, she is literally broken figuratively and literally by both Loki and The Hulk. When Loki reminds Black Widow of her past and calls her a mewling quim (if you know what that is, it makes the scene pretty fucked up) she is broken mentally. She recovers almost immediately afterwards not because she's over it, but because she has to and that there's no time to weep. Plus, she knows that weeping in front of Loki shows a weakness and that it makes her look like a mewling quim. With Hulk, it's far more complex. Her and Banner were on the same team. Aside from the anger issue, she trusted Banner and for him to suddenly Hulk Out and nearly kill her, she was terrified for the first moment in the films. For the first time, she was left vulnerable, out of control, and in the fetal position. Every woman struggles to find acceptance in male dominant society and in Black Widows case, she has taken steps back in one night. She is broken and scared. Even Banner has subtle depth. In his tone of voice, especially when revealing his suicide attempt, it sounds like he finds something amusing about all of it. Like he knows this is all some cruel joke on the world, that his "condition"…

• You don't need to watch Firefly to have fun with such an exciting.

No, you have to watch Firefly if you enjoy a great sci-fi TV show with an amazing cast and beautifully executed.

Regarding Serenity, this is definitely better than The Avengers, in my humblest of opinions.

• You probably need to watch the series to understand the characters and cast, but I think if you went in blind, you can still have fun with it in my opinion.

I definitely enjoy Serenity more, but I think Whedon improved as a director when he did The Avengers though Serenity is the better written film (at least in my opinion).

Please to comment.