The Window 1949 ★★★

The “burn-on-demand” service now offered by many of the major studios has put thousands of previously (legally) unavailable titles into the hands and onto the screens of film fans. Most likely in an effort to offset some of the money lost to piracy, the vast war chests have been torn open. One such film to be unearthed by Warner as part of their Archive Collection is the 1949 noir ‘The Window.’ Directed by Ted Tetzlaff, cinematographer on Notorious, My Man Godfrey, Road to Zanzibar…, The Window is a simple tale of a crime in the city. Tommy boy regularly cries wolf, Tommy boy sees something really bad happen and then Tommy boy steps into a world of hurt. The Window is solid film noir but doesn’t offer anything exceptionally noteworthy to tack up in the hallowed halls. It’s straight ahead, but tense enough to pull you through the other end with a knot in your stomach. Cornell Woolrich wrote the story this is based on and there are certainly some similarities to Rear Window. While it seems to start out as a cautionary tale, it soon becomes apparent the movie has a point to make. It’s a time in history when all children were expected to be seen and not heard and openly smacked silly when they stepped out of line. The adult was always believed regardless of the situation. The Window knocks this bully on its ass, standing up for the rights of our tiny tot Tommy, much like Linderman in My Bodyguard. Now, I didn’t set out to bring a Chris Makepeace movie into this, but goddamnit, now that I have, I feel really good about myself.

Comment?

Please to comment.