PressPausePlay 2011 ★★★½

Technology and manufacturing have progressed to the point now where the tools for creating professional music and films are accessible, and affordable, to the general public. But the resulting democratisation of these creative endeavours may prove to be both liberating and terrible at the same time... With more people than ever trying their hand at it, what is the cultural cost of this new freedom of expression? Will it result in an eventual decline to the mediocre, or is this the start of a new surge in creative progression? Will true artists get lost in the noise?

These are some of the issues that PressPausePlay aims to tackle. Rather than being a one-sided affair, the documentary covers the current situation from both sides of the coin and doesn't try to offer any predictions for the future — in fact, you get a strong sense that even those in the midst of each industry have no idea how things will play out over time.

The film has been beautifully shot (using RED cameras), and features interviews with the likes of Moby, Seth Godin, Robyn, Sean Parker and others. For anyone in a creative role this film is most definitely worth the watch and really captures the current moment in time; If you want to watch something that will excite you about the possibilities open to us in this 'digital revolution', this is your ticket.

PressPausePlay is availalbe as a free download from their website (or for purchase via iTunes or Amazon).

3 Comments

• Thank for the review – I just watched it because of it. :·)

• Great stuff Marcin (that means Letterboxd is working!)
    I liked your review too — you were right about the production quality, it's just amazing. I also forgot to mention that the thread involving the orchestra was interesting in the way it ended. The fact that you never see the performance leaves me with mixed emotions; Part of me really wants to see it for closure, and the other part of me loves the incompleteness and how it reinforces the idea of not being able to see the future ;)

• Hmmm… That was probably the least satisfying piece for me, actually. I loved the idea, and I’ve even been to the guy’s concerts – but I never really bought the importance of it the way it was told and edited. And it seemed somewhat disconnected from the rest of the story. I found it hard to care much for it.

Please to comment.