The two extreme reactions this movie seems to provoke is curious to me. It's not worthy of the praise because of the head-slappingly idiotic way the characters behave. A small sampling:
- I'm scared of a 2000 year old dead alien but playing with the penis snake is a great idea
- Stringer Bell goes off to get laid instead of keeping tabs on crew members lost in alien cave/ship
- Somehow the guy with the mapping equipment (who also has communication with the ship) gets lost
- Fassbender drops alien goo in Dragon Tattoo lady's boyfriend's drink for no apparent reason
- No one seems to care when it is revealed that the horribly makeup'd old Guy Pierce is alive
- Charlize Theron thinks its a great idea to run in same direction the doughnut ship is falling
But it's not really worthy of the hate either, since the movie looks amazing and at least the first half creates a suitably creepy atmosphere that carries through almost up to the manic ending. So I'm coming down squarely in the middle.