Mortal Kombat 1995 ★★

Three unknowing martial artists are summoned to a mysterious island to compete in a tournament whose outcome will decide the fate of the world.

I watched this last night, for the first time in about 15 years. All of the things I remembered about the Mortal Kombat films were not seen in this one, so I suppose I'll have to view Annihilation as well.

First thing's first, I'm not the kind of fan that follows the story of Mortal Kombat, I just pick a character and play. Saying that I do know who all of the main characters are and if they're good or bad. This review is going to be based on how good I thought the characters were.

I'll start off with Raiden. Christopher Lambert plays him and I think it was a terrible choice. I'm not even sure why really. Perhaps it was the put on voice and the way they had his fake grey hair long and flowing as opposed to the way I'm used to seeing him. The voice annoyed me the most.

Liu Kang was done alright, played by Robin Shou. I thought he looked spot on and was played with some talent. Being that he was the main character though, I feel he didn't shine above others, such as Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade.

Johnny Cage was casted well I thought, although highly annoying. His light comedic moments didn't have me laughing or smiling, I was just cringing. Other than that he was fine.

Shang Tsung was great. A purely evil character. Played well by Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, if not a little bit over-the-top. Still fun to watch.

Bridgette Wilson-Sampras, who I used to love when I was a kid in the 90's, played Sonja Blade. She played the character well. The moments of dialogue between her and Johnny Cage got on my nerves though, because I really do hate Johnny Cage.

Scorpian was a major dissapointment for me in this film, as he was always my favourite in the games and he was never really able to do anything cool since the actor playing him (I don't even remember his name) was a total dick. He had no talent whatsoever. The special effects for his famous "get over here" attack were impressive for a film of the mid-nineties. The flaming skull however, was not as good.

Who better to follow up Scorpian with than Sub-Zero? Unfortunately Sub-Zero was portrayed worse than Scorpian. He died before I could see him do some real damage to any one of the main characters. He dies from his own attack.

Goro was the favourite out of all of the characters in the film. Even though he was a giant-prop-costume-thing, he was done so well, so perfect. Besides his facial movements being a little stale I actually believed I was seeing Goro.

The rest I'll just mention in this paragraph, as they were terrible: Kano, Kitana, Jax and Reptile. Especially Reptile. Considering that special effects were not up to scratch back then, why didn't they just try a costume, like with Goro. The invisibility effect wouldn't of been too hard to try with a costume as well, since they achieved that in the 80's with Predator. It was a real let down and made the character 100% unbelievable.

If I've missed any other characters, they must of been worse than the previous four mentioned and I've just erased their scenes from my memory.

So, the movie is enjoyable to an extent, but if you want something more realistic (well, realistic in their world) watch Mortal Kombat: Rebirth, which seemed to do things alot better than Paul W.S. Anderson. Follow it with MK: Legacy.

Comment?

Please to comment.