Prometheus 2012 ★★★★½

I have long anticipated the release of Prometheus, and I was well satisfied with how it turned out. The only reason I did not give it a perfect rating is that it is somwhat uneven tonally. This movie isn't totally about one thing. It's about science and philosophy- a journey to find out the origins of life on Earth. But it's also a thriller or a creature horror movie. It's a business politics drama as well, with some familial and romantic drama thrown in for good measure. Most of the scenes for each of these plotlines are done skillfully and artfully.

Towards the end of the movie there was a point where a switch back from the terror and danger back to a slow-paced and tender dramatic moment seemed wrong. And it was all about the score music that was chosen. It was like first act music in the middle of the story's climax.

The acting stand-outs were Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender. With all the android characters in sci-fi already, it gets harder to create one that is original. Fassbender's David is a complex character at that, with a lot of interesting lines. During the film the viewer will find thermselves wondering what his motivations are and what his secrets are that he keeps to himself.

The production design is amazing, but that is to be expected in a film set in the same universe as Alien and directed by Ridley Scott. I don't think it is a spoiler to say that this movie ends at a point that is wide open for a sequel, and I think Scott should do what he did after Alien and let another director take over for what could be, yet again, a shift in sub-genres. I'm looking forward to re-watching Prometheus, and pondering the universe it is set in.

1 Comment