Network 1976 ★★★★★

I can not believe it took me so long to get around to watching this. Network is a brilliant satire, as relevant today as when it was in 1976.

If you haven't seem it yet, like me you'll probably know it from the famous speech that won Peter Finch his posthumous Oscar, but the film is SO much more than that. It (obviously) tackles the politics of how ratings drive network television decisions, but also delves into the idea of how deep thoughts and ideas can be warped into something devoid of their original meaning when they're picked up as catchphrases and turned into an exploitable brand by powerful and corrupt people. It's also the story of a man trying to help his friend through a nervous breakdown, and a pretty convincing relationship drama.

This also has the most shouting I've probably ever seen in a film. There are at least 5 fantastic monologues given by various people that are just as effective as the one you know.

The only downside for me was the overly dramatic voiceovers that bookend the movie, which are a bit heavy on exposition and just feel a bit lazy or something. Luckily they're not frequent or bad enough to take anything away from the film.

If you haven't seen it yet, go rent it immediately.

4 Comments