Wild at Heart ★★★★½

I think I have a new favorite David Lynch film. Wild at Heart tells you a lot of what you need to know in the title. It has a frenetic pace and constant forward momentum that will leave you breathless and wanting more. What it really boils down to is a sweet love story between two people that just want to live life for each other and no one else.

The story is set in Cape Fear, North Carolina so everyone tries their hand at horrible southern accents. Sailor's just out of prison for murder. Lula's really young and is hopelessly in love with him. They have LOTS of sex. She's got a murderous mom who'll stop at nothing to make sure Lula can't end up with Sailor. They try to run away to California which violates Sailor's parole. There's a scene halfway through the film depicting the brutal aftermath of a car accident which serves as the shift from lighthearted and passionate romance to terrifying and disturbing imagery. The end is as batshit crazy as Nic Cage's performance throughout, and Laura Dern is just sort of a ditsy and ridiculous most of the time. Willem Dafoe is pretty awesome in this as well. All of it's awesome, really.

I could easily pick the narrative apart and declare it all a mess, but it's too much fun to do that. The sheer amount of energy emanating from every aspect of the film-making is enough to enjoy it even if you have no idea what's going on. Despite the fact it looks like an over-the-top romance, knowing it's a David Lynch film should prepare you for the surreal and ugly stuff that doesn't really do anything to enhance the love story. I honestly didn't think Lynch was capable of a silly, warm-hearted, and sincere love story, but here is something that comes shockingly close. The range throughout his career is astounding given how his films all have his distinct style written all over them. This is by far the most enjoyable of them all. At the very least, I can see myself revisiting it just to experience Nic Cage's Elvis Presley impression again.