X-Men: The Last Stand 2006 ★★★

Ugh. I'm like two weeks behind on my reviews, partly because I've been away for a whole week, and partly because I don't want to write anything about this movie for fear of ridicule.

I like it. I maybe really like it. I think it's totally not bad. Yes, I know that pretty much everything about the film is weak - the characters are bare outlines, the acting isn't great, and the story seems smashed together and clumsy - but I saw it in the theatre, couldn't believe how fast the time flew by, and was very entertained. This time, I put it on to have something in the background while doing laundry, so it was serviceable for that purpose.

I also don't believe that liking this movie means that you can't be a true comics fan (or a true movie lover). Yes, I am a fairly recent comics reader. I have not read the Dark Phoenix saga, but I have read Whedon's run with the Gifted arc. But I love the X-Men (I'm even currently reading 4 X titles). Ever since stumbling upon the animated series as a child, I have loved the X-Men and what they stand for. The movies will never touch the complexity of characters that are developed over decades (OMG Colossus). Shit, I don't even think Nolan's Batman even really scratches the surface of the complexity of that character. Of course this movie could have been better, but I still think it's pretty fine as it stands.

So there. It had been a while since my last viewing, and I don't really love it anymore, but I will still probably pop it in the DVD player, some future Saturday while doing laundry.

16 Comments

• This is a far cry from X2 and First Class, but it's entertaining in a guilty pleasure sort of way. Still, all the missed opportunities are pretty sad. This movie could have been so awesome.

• I also don't believe that liking this movie means that you can't be a true comics fan (or a true movie lover).
    Very true. Huge comic book fan here as well and I can still enjoy the movies even when they change something radically from the source material. Also clicked "like" for the fact that you gave this movie 3 stars in public, if you like it that's all that counts.

• @Ryan, yea, agreed. I had a hard time really putting my finger on what I would have rather seen (realistically - I mean come on, more Colossus), aside from overall betterness. Also I guess I need to go back and read Dark Phoenix. What are some of your ideas? I really really liked First Class, but I only saw it once, and I suspect that part of it may have just been the post-Fassbender glow. I'll be watching it again soon. It's been a while since X-2, but I have a lot of laundry to do this weekend, so that may be going in =)

• @Mr. DuLac, thanks for the props, and the backhanded compliment as well =) it's OK, I expected that! Also, fuck ratings. They're impossible. My 3 stars are typically "good/liked it". I hate thinking about ratings too much because then I will start obsessing and then wanting to go back through my entire ratings history to adjust comparatively. ugh =)

• I think the main problem with X3 is that they thought to top X2 they had to go bigger. More characters, biggest stakes, ect, ect... X2's main villain didn't even have any powers. He was human and they practically only introduced one new main mutant in Deathstrike. That left a whole lotta room for story, character development, plot development, ect... In Last Stand they were introducing new characters every 10 minutes.

• @Julie: I actually only noticed after I posted that I gave this movie 3 stars as well lol. It really wasn't meant to be backhanded, I had someone post something similar on one of my reviews saying something a long the lines of "good for you giving it X number of stars knowing full well everyone else thinks it's crap" lol But I agree, people need to not think what others will say about what they give a movie. It's all subjective to the viewer.

• There isn't any one thing in particular that can be changed to make X-Men 3 instantly better. I felt that a lot of points were skated over instead of developed, like Arch Angel, who serves almost no purpose in the movie. Same as Juggernaut. Same as a whole host of other characters. They tried to cram waaaay too many characters into this movie, and it didn't work. And the running time...only 104 minutes? You cannot tell the story of a mutant war AND individual personal subplots such as Phoenix and everyone else in just over an hour and a half. There needed to be much more build-up to it, because without that build-up and without any dedication to the battle itself, none of it feels as important as it should be. It felt more like an episode of an animated series, to me, when it should have felt like a true major event. It was just an all-around weak film.

• Guys, ugh, such good points, why couldn't I put them into words?! Yes yes way too many characters. Leave Angel out, I hate Ben Foster anyway. My guess is that they were trying for more characters = better grasp of two opposing sides of the mutant war, but you're both right, it sure didn't help the storytelling. It was just like a slideshow of "look at this cool mutant power!".

@Ryan, I can't believe it was only 104 minutes. No wonder I was surprised when it was over so soon in the theatre. I thought time just subjectively flew by because I was having a good time. hah

@Mr. hahaha =)

• I like X3. it gets treated as worse than it is because everyone has to sort all nerd culture items into 'worst ever' and 'best ever' camps.

Here's my sole big props for it though. The cure storyline informs every character. It plays a role for everyone, they all have an opinion of it, it truly drives the storyline, and its a theme that perfectly sets the XMen movies apart from all the others. It's about something, and that matters. The Avengers movie... good as it is, is about nothing.

• I really liked the cure storyline, it almost made me like Anna Paquin's Rogue. Making a mutant the source of the cure (instead of alien technology) as well as that which could be cured, was a really good choice for the film (although of course, more could have been done with it).

• You have every right to love this film! As much as I have every right to hate its guts. First the geeky bits (no corey, this is not the worst film ever made, I'm not that type of nerd ;) ) I collected and read the x-men from my twelfth up until my mid twenties. To say I'm a fan is an understatement. I loved the first film and was blown away by the second. These adaptations showed passion and respect for their source and kept the tone and caught the characters really well. The third one just doesn't. It kills off characters at random without so much as an afterthought. It messes up one of the best story arcs ever and gives us this convoluted mess of character and plot out completely loses out on the magic and fun of its predecessor.
    As a film fan I was rather annoyed by the blandness of it all. It is a paint it by numbers affair with no spark of creativity anywhere. As beige as they get.
    Geeky ranting ends here ;)

Geeky ranting ends here ;)

• Whoops, sorry for the double post!

• I was surprised there was no unfollow, Dirk! (kidding =)
    No arguments there at all, really. And I'm off to procure the Dark Phoenix TPBs =)

• Am impressed at the showing of (almost) love for this film. It really gets put down an awful lot and I really don't feel that it deserves all that. I'm a comic book fan, not a comic book NERD! So I like what I like and vice-versa without looking too much into what was missing or what deviated from the comics. Remember, most comic characters have several different arcs and universes in some cases so am afraid that the nerdgasms just don't mean anything to me.

I liked it as a film and yes, Mr Ratner has still to polish his skills but the cast we know from the 2 previous films are mostly all there and the new characters that are introduced serve their purpose.

If I were to watch and score it on here then I think a 3 is fairynuff :D

• Thanks Alin =) Yea, I've been thinking about this a lot, and how I could possibly like this one (only like, not love anymore! I swear!) but think that something like Colombiana is the biggest piece of shit ever (I don't get it either). I've also been thinking about this a lot in the context of the whole comment chain on Ryan's Dark Knight review. I think I definitely have to say that it must come down to the fact that while I can recognize problems with narrative and plot, it is usually after the fact, and with some effort. I just have never been good at analyzing that aspect of film, so therefore I weight it low. Plot holes have to be (and I know everyone would argue this with X-Men The Last Stand) giant-sized, and without anything else to distract me from them, so that I recognize them (like with Colombiana - I wasn't having any fun, so I was really bothered by the really stupid stupidness of the thing). With X-Men, I know that there were giant plot holes, but I guess there's enough flash bang action (another completly justified complaint) to keep me from thinking. Anyway, I'm reading a David Bordwell book on narrative right now, to try to get better =)

Please to comment.