Se7en 1995 ★★★★½

This review reportedly contains spoilers.
I can handle the truth.

This review reportedly contains spoilers.

This bad boy is one of my all time favourite films. A properly horrifying story played out against a stunning visual masterpiece, a triumph of set dressing that fills every corner of the film with grime, misery, and discomfort. Se7en doesn't need gore to unsettle, for it makes even a room filled with air fresheners look like hell on Earth.

Morgan Freeman is one of those actors to me who can do no wrong, however Pitt and Spacey are the real stars here. Pitt paints a vivid, believable picture of a man who has no idea what he's getting into, and when Spacey arrives as John Doe the evil seeps from his skin and his clean cut face is all the more unsettling for its cleanliness against the brutal world painted by the sets.

This story might have been told a lot of different ways. That it takes place in a visual feast only heightens its impact, though that feast be made of maggots and filth. The casting director even had the good sense to cast Gwyneth Paltrow, who doesn't shine up the screen with sex the way an Alba might. On VHS this film was great, but on Blu Ray it's an experience not to be missed.