The Amazing Spider-Man 2012 ★★★★

Andrew Garfield is great. One charming mother of a man. He brings something different to the character that really works. And Emma Stone.. witty, lovely, she's got it all. They have extremely good chemistry. And they share one of the most awesomely awkward moments I've witnessed in a while.

Rhys Ifans, I love that man. It felt like something was missing in his character but that was definitely not his fault, he is perfect.

Action is well filmed, the characters have good emotional moments and the movie is fairly fast-paced. Happily surprised.

9 Comments

• I think the common theme with people that liked the movie is that they loved the cast. That's easily what I liked the most about it I think.

• Definitely, they were all great. It's a shame that Emma Stone wasn't used more. She was wonderful, I would have loved some more scenes with just her and Garfield.

• It's a good cast squandered by absolute piss-poor writing. I felt 5 minutes in that I was not going to enjoy the journey.

• I can't disagree more :D Sorry, but in the most scenes with Garfield and Stone I couldn't sense a bit of chemistry - although I like both of them. The action was ok, I guess, but the effects surprisingly bad...

But you're right, Ifans cannot be blamed for his performance as his super-villain does not get enough profile by the script.

Overall I was sadly disappointed by this reboot. Maybe the next movie does not need to be compared with the original.

• Colin - I would agree, some of Garfield's smart-ass comments fall a bit flat but overall it felt pretty fresh to me.

Dos-Corazones - for me it was pretty easy not to compare it to the original. Andrew Garfield brought enough new stuff to the role.

• I thought it was great. There seemed to be more care put into this film than all of Spider-Man 1 and 3 combined. It didn't hit the high marks of 2, but that's because this film was dealing with the origin, and it did it superbly well.

What I liked first and foremost was how the film paid attention the characters first more than anything else. Hell, even Flash Thompson has good character development (and I fucking loved that they made it out that they were going to be best buds).

If done right, this new series could easily leave Raimi's in the dust.

I don't even miss Tobey after this film.

If done right, this new series could easily leave Raimi's in the dust.

I don't even miss Tobey after this film.

• Well, Garfield wasn't the problem. For me the movie runs through all the stations like the original 10 years ago. And the new idea of making Peter's background story more interesting by introducing his parents, didn't work as it was totally forgotten after 20 minutes. But as the short scene in the middle of the credits suggests, there is planned to tell more about his parents.

• @Cinebro - agreed, it was very well handled. Not nearly as good as Spider-Man 2 though and I still prefer Spider-Man 1 to this one. But still, they can definitely go places.

@Dos - yes, I'll give you that, the parents thing seemed completely unnecessary.

Please to comment.