The Untouchables 1987 ★★★★★

Brian De Palma rules. Haven't seen nearly enough of his films. And this film holds up so goddamn well.

7 Comments

• I have to disagree. Kevin Costner's acting makes this film unwatchable for me. Everything thing else is great, but Costner's wooden face and wooden sounding dialogue is unbearable.

• I like him, always have. Ever since I watched and rewatched Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves a million times when I was a kid. Even liked him in 3000 Miles to Graceland.

• Agreed, Costner is generally great but one of those actors who seems to get far more flak for his failures than most. He's perfect for the role of Elliot Ness, exactly the calm head that the centre of the film needs. His role wasn't meant to be demonstrative at all.

It's an amazing film, too, and probably my favourite De Palma. He's almost always worthwhile and one of those directors where even his more disappointing films, like Raising Cain, still have something of interest in them. If you haven't seen it, try Blow Out next.

• Blow Out has been at the top of my watchlist forEVER. I can't wait to check that film out.

• It's really great. I watched it again recently and I enjoyed it far more the second time round, for some reason.

• Don't get me wrong, I like Costner, too. But, for me, he just doesn't work in this film. It just sounds like he is reading from the script, and not acting at all. There's a difference between that and not being demonstrative.

But that's just my opinion.

• @Steve, I'll check it out as soon as possible!

@Jericho, I can definitely see where you're comin from.

Please to comment.