Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy 2011 ★★★★★

I loved pretty much everything about this film. Masterclass in acting, directing, cinematography and especially music. Amazing music. The slow pace works perfectly, letting everything creep up on you. This also makes the violence hit so much harder when something does happen. Comes out of nowhere at times.

They used "less is more" to great effect. You've got to keep your eyes open or you might get lost somewhere along the way. But if you do follow along you will be rewarded.

Need I say anything about the acting? The cast is magnificent, pretty amazing that all of these guys are in the same film. I will say that the standouts are of course Oldman and Hardy, two personal favorites, but along with them is Benedict Cumberbatch. He is pretty fantastic, totally surprised me.

When the last song came on I just smiled and thought to myself, "YES!". Perfect choice that no one would have thought of. Doesn't really fit in but it clicks perfectly.

8 Comments

• Couldn't agree more, I really can't wait to re-watch. I had the stupidest grin on my face all throughout that final sequence. Hoping there are some great special features on the blu-ray.

• I had totally not expected it but I loved it. Think the movie will benefit from rewatches.

• Had you read the book previously?

• I had not, no. I don't know that I'd be that interested to read it though. It's not so much the subject matter that I was fascinated by, it was the atmosphere, visuals and acting, so I don't really think I'd enjoy it much. Have you read it?

• Yea, I read it a few years ago and was not wowed; the movie did indeed bring it to life. I was just wondering since I think you're the first person I've seen who's really loved it, without already knowing the plot - a bunch of my friends felt too lost and frustrated to enjoy it. My husband doesn't count, he did really like it, but I also had to pause several times to clear some things up. But I do also agree that you can just soak everything in without necessarily knowing everything that's going on, and I think that's also somewhat the point. Just curious =) I want more Oldman Smiley, I hope it was enough of a success to warrant more.

• That's exactly how I feel. Though I think I understood everything give or take a few minor details. I definitely agree that Oldman is awesome, could watch him do anything but I felt the movie had a very clear ending. Don't know if I would want a sequel.

• If you've read the books you know this is a first in the Karla Trilogy. And while they may not bring the other books in the trilogy to fruition, Cinema Blend reports that there is renewed interest in le Carre's work - and it looks like 'A Most Wanted Man' is hitting theaters in 2013: www.cinemablend.com/new/Philip-Seymour-Hoffman-Commits-John-Le-Carre-Most-Wanted-Man-30977.html

• I loved The Constant Gardener too, also written by him if I'm not mistaken.

Please to comment.