The King's Speech 2010 ★★★★

First off, I hate that this film beat out The Social Network for Best Pic. Network was more entertaining, more culturally relevant (by a long shot), and better directed. The only part of Speech that I though was better than Network was the acting. Now that I've gotten that out of the way... Speech is carried by the performances of Firth and Rush, who would have both won Oscars if it wasn't for Christian Bale's superb supporting performance in The Fighter. And as far as the storyline goes, well it's incredibly engrossing for an English period piece. This is mainly because of the dialogue in David Seidler's screenplay, which was well-deserving of its Oscar. He and director Tom Hooper somehow take what could have been another bloody boring and pretentious English production centered around a member of royalty's inability to speak properly (doesn't that just sound great?) and turn it into a "fun" film. I'm not sure how they did it, but I'm glad they were able to turn this premise into something not only bearable to watch, but downright enjoyable.

Comment?

Please to comment.