Submarine 2010 ★★★½

A very British coming of age tale, created as a very French New Wave homage and set in mid-Eighties Swansea. A 15-year-old boy is dealing with the breakdown of his parents marriage whilst pursuing his own love interest. It’s clever, but in a self-conscious way that will draw inescapable comparisons with the likes of Harold and Maude, Rushmore, and The Graduate - yet without really contributing enough of it’s own spirit to become something more. The humor works best in the most subtle of moments and understated dialogue, and not so much in the socially awkward encounters. It’s fun and engaging for a while but rounding into the final third I completely lost interest.

2 Comments

• I've been trying to articulate to myself why I didn't rate this movie, your review encapsulates the essence: "…in a self-conscious way that will draw inescapable comparisons … yet without really contributing enough of it’s own spirit to become something more."

I agree wholeheartledly

• It's still great that films like this can get made - but I have so much love for those original influences that I'll defend any attempts to borrow the sentiment with earning it.

Please to comment.