The Avengers 2012 ★★★★½

To kind of steal a line from The Rock... FINALLY! THE RON HAS SEEN THE AVENGERS!

This film was like when you get super excited as a kid to do something or go somewhere and it pays off. You have a blast, you drive your parents nuts talking about it, and you bounce off the walls with excitement until you eventually pass out from exhaustion!

My Letterboxd friends know I generally prefer the darker comic book films so I was interested to see what I made of this film. Well call me impressed! Joss Whedon did an excellent job giving us all the action you expect from a film like this, but also managed to deliver excellent snappy dialogue which is what sent it to the next level for me. I liked each character here better than I did in the separate films. Director Joss Whedon also did an excellent job giving each character ample screen time. Much to my surprise even Hawkeye and Black Widow were giving a nice amount of time. All of the performances are solid, the CGI is top notch, the writing is witty and funny, and it all makes for a really fun time watching a movie! See Letterboxd friends It's not all dark for me. I can enjoy a this type of comic book film! It honestly made me wish Whedon had directed the individual films because I probably would of liked them a lot better if he had. Anyway The Avengers gets a very high recommendation from me as I find it hard to believe anyone who would say they didn't find it entertaining.

Now I would like to give you my 2 year old sons dialogue with me during the film. Keep in mind he is two so he gets a little confused as to what characters go with what films sometimes.

Yorel: Iron Man...yep Iron Man.
Me: Yeah that's Iron Man.
Yorel: Superman?
Me: No that's Iron Man.
Yorel: Batman...Superman?
Me: Nope that's Iron Man can you say Iron Man?
Yorel: Yeah hahaha Iron Man!
Me: Look Rel it's Hulk.
Yorel: See Hulk wanna see Hulk! [picks up Hulk action figure] Hulk smash Hulk smash! [throws it at my face]
Me: Yeah Hulk smash, but you don't throw it at my face and you almost hit your brother.
Yorel: [whining] Hulk smash!
Me: It's OK buddy just be careful!
Yorel: wactha Spiderman?
Me: Know we're watching The Avengers.
Yorel: Iron Man, Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, yeah Hulk SMASH!
Me: You're funny buddy!
Yorel: [during finale whining] See Hulk daddy see hulk please?
Me: You gotta wait a minute Hulk will be back.
Yorel: OK wait a minute.
Yorel: [scene were Hulk runs through the inside of the building Yorel laughing hysterically] HULK SMASH HULK SMASH YEAH HULK SMASH!
Me: [speaking to my wife] I love that kid!
My wife: So do I!
Yorel: [credits rolling] Whatcha Iron Man moomie? Yep whatcha Iron Man moomie?
Me: It's The Avengers son can you say Avengers?
Yorel: Vengers moomie yep Vengers moomie...I wanna watch......Dragon moomie!
Me: Not right now we'll watch it later.
Yorel: OK whatcha Iron Man moomie yep!

25 Comments

• @Del Damn it you've deciphered my plan. My youngest may end up being tall to so I may be in the money ; )

• This is one of the best things I've ever read on this site!

Hopefully, next stop for you: The Dark Knight Rises

• @SilentJoe13 Thanks! I thought everyone might find my son as entertaining as I do.

TDKR has eluded me due to how difficult it is for me to get a babysitter. I tried to go see it a couple of weeks back, but the theater closest to me which is the only one I can get to at the moment only had one showing and I couldn't make it. My wife and I have accepted the fact that for the forseable future we will have to go to the cinema separately so one of us can watch the kids.

• I wish I could triple-like this review. :) 2012 has been an awesome year for superhero films: TDKR, The Avengers, and The Amazing Spider-Man. Sweetness.

• I agree with the Silent one. Definitely one of the best things I've ever read on this site. I'm really hoping we get to read more Ron & Yorel reviews.

• awesome review mate !

• Again I would like to thank everyone who has commented and liked this review! I thought the conversation with my son was funny and felt my Letterboxd friends would enjoy it, but I didn't expect the praise it has received. All credit should go to my son for being ridiculously cute!

• @Ahab I'll try and include Yorel in any review I can ; )

• thats awesome