Possessor

Possessor ★★★★

There is something that is so enjoyable about this. Something that is so otherworldly, something that evades definition. Not often does a voice scream empathy behind bleak and utter destruction. I can't wait to see what Brandon Cronenberg does next because I don't think he'll stay in his father's shadow for long. There is so much potential and so much that's already been achieved.
I do wish the visuals in normal life, such as the buildings and rooms, were a little more contrived and catered towards Cronenberg's vision, but for now he compensates slightly by having the visuals otherwise be truly unmatched in the whole of 2020 that I've seen. The sequence from the poster is truly one of the most chilling things I've ever experienced. And I watched it on my phone screen.
Andrea Riseborough and Christopher Abbott are unbelievable (and Jennifer Jason Leigh in her five-ish minutes of screen time), even if the other performances are lackluster.
For those who've been waiting to check it out: Do! You won't regret it. Though it is not at all for the faint of heart. Think of Yorgos Lanthimos if he did sci-fi horror. And it doesn't hurt that Andrea Riseborough kind of has the same accent as Rachel Weisz.

Alec liked this review