Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★

The more I think about this film the more I actually enjoy and appreciate the moments I might have found more meandering, confusing, or pointless. Even though I have not seen all of   Tarantino’s films, the tone feels drastically different from the movies I have watched of his, which isn’t a bad thing. It feels good to get what feels more like a mature, and slow-paced story rather than an in-your-face, always moving pace.

The relationship between Pitt and DiCaprio was very well done, and their chemistry was very charming. All of the other characters shined in their own way too, from Margot Robbie to Julia Butters as Trudi.

The shot composition, set design, and lighting were all fantastic. It felt as if Hollywood in 1969 still existed, with small details really driving that idea home. Not to mention the music choices in  sequences like Brad Pitt riding around Hollywood really helped elevate the scenes and add to the exhilaration and energy.

I wish I would have known more about the Manson family and murders going into this movie, as at some points I was confused. But that isn’t really a flaw of the movie, just something that once I read about it afterward, helped me understand the movie more.

I’d like to rewatch this one day having more knowledge about the movie. But for now I will say this is a pretty wonderful movie

Olivia liked these reviews