Fear Street: 1666

Fear Street: 1666 ★★½

Oh boy...

Even for a series that asks you not to concern yourself with the details pretty damn early into the journey, critical thinkers are gonna have trouble with this one.

If you thought Fear Street Part 3: 1666 was gonna give off those VVITCH vibes, you'd be horribly mistaken.

What we get instead is a stupid explanation as to why 'Shadysiders' have always gotten the shit end of the stick.

If 1994 was Scooby-Doo, then you better pull your socks up and get ready for Scooby-Doo Part Deux: Electric Fuckaloo.

Instead of focusing on the infinitely more interesting portrayal of 'Old Scratch' exerting his influence over a Puritan town, the filmmakers opt to run over that idea roughshod and get back to the '90s for the big baddie battle royale.

Which I guess is fine; they had to wrap this up somehow, but why the filmmakers chose to have Deena be the hero of this tale is something I will never understand.

She was unlikeable in the first installation, but she's absolutely insufferable in this.

I think our society has become enamored with the idea that to be a 'strong woman,' you have to be a complete asshole.

Likely born from the logical fallacy that since men are assholes, then that must be their secret weapon.

Spare me.

Not to mention the socioeconomic themes they laid on so thick at the end that you'd need a pitchfork to clean off...

"Rich people are bad Satan worshipers, and poor people are more gooder!"

If I wanted politics jammed down my neck, I would have turned on the news.

All in all, Fear Street Part 3 drops the ball on what should have been a fun romp through the horror genre, effectively tainting the whole series.

But, if you're in for a penny, you're in for a pound.

38DaysOfNight liked these reviews